What information do we collect? And how do we use it?
We collect the information you provide to us on account application forms, paper or electronic instructions, and telephone instructions from you and/or your financial advisor. This information may include your:
- Name and address
- Social Insurance Number
- Financial advisor information
- Beneficiary name(s)
- Telephone and e-mail
- Date of birth
- Banking information
- Investment instructions
How do we use your personal information?
We limit the collection, use, retention and disclosure of your personal information to that which is permitted or required by law, or that which is reasonably necessary. We may use your personal information for these stated purposes:
- Establishing your account
- Administering your account
- Executing your transactions
- Communicating with you
- Ensuring our records are accurate
- Providing transaction confirmations
- Providing financial statements
- Issuing tax slips and proxy mailings
- Contacting your financial advisor
- Legal and regulatory requirements
Only EdgePoint employees with a business need to know, or whose duties reasonably require it, are granted access to your information. We also share your information with third-party services providers to maintain your account(s). We do not sell, rent or otherwise market your personal information.
When is information disclosed to third parties?
- Your financial advisor/investment dealer
- Third parties who provide services such as account statement preparation and mailing for us
- Financial Institutions and securities dealers when necessary to carry out your instructions, such as automatic deposits or withdrawals
- Governments, government agencies, regulators or others for whom we are legally obliged to provide information
- Entities to which we are legally obliged to provide information
How do we protect your information?
We maintain physical, procedural and electronic controls appropriate to the sensitivity of your information, to protect it against risks such as loss or theft, unauthorized access, disclosure, copying, use, modification or destruction. These safeguards include secure office premises for authorized employees only, secure networks, and secure databases. We protect your personal information disclosed to third parties by ensuring that such parties have policies in place to protect the confidentiality of the information.
Accessing and updating your information
You may access the personal information we hold about you at any time by advising us in writing that you wish to do so. We may be unable to provide you with some information in certain circumstances, such as if the information also refers to other individuals, is subject to legal privilege, contains confidential information or is otherwise permitted or restricted by law. If we are unable to provide you with access to your personal information, we will give you an explanation. If you wish to advise us of any change in your personal information, or if you believe the information we have is inaccurate or incomplete, please contact us at 1.866.757.7207.
Questions or concerns?