Making your money make money
Mar 09, 2016
Our investors have $4.3 billion† more than what they initially invested with us.
How do we make you money?
- We stick to our proven investment approach. A single, time-tested way of investing
- We look for ideas – proprietary insights – about businesses we understand
- We familiarize ourselves with company management because what kind of owner doesn’t know how their business is being run and by whom?
- We look long term in contrast to other market participants with much shorter attention spans
- We avoid market “noise” and flash-in-the-pan investment fads
- We try not to do dumb things and appreciate that we have to be right more often than not
- We hold a spotlight to our mistakes
Saving you money
We've saved our investors approximately $4 million* a year in fees versus our competitors.
Smaller management expense ratios (MERs) are a big deal. While fees are unavoidable, you need to pay attention to them because they eat away at your investment savings.
Say you invest $100,000 in a fund that grows at a rate of 10% compounded annually. Over the long term, a fee reduction of as little as 0.25% dramatically impacts your bottom line.
In fact, that 0.25% adds up to over $14,000 after 15 years. After 30 years, the potential savings amounts to more than the original investment itself.
Another point to remember is that just like taxes, MERs are calculated based on total assets and not as a fixed dollar amount. You pay more for an investment when it performs well. No matter what, fees matter.
How do we save you money?
- With higher account minimums, we need less staff to service fewer advisors, investors and accounts
- Our simple lineup means fewer transactions between funds, and zero new product launches, mergers or terminations to manage and pay for
- We don’t offer the traditional deferred sales charge (DSC) purchase option because of the extensive administrative work it involves (DSC queries can comprise up to 60% of traditional call centre volumes). As a result, our back office isn’t inundated and we don’t field nearly as many calls
- We have no marketing department and do no advertising. We won’t even print in colour because it’s more expensive than black and white
- We save on mailing costs and help the environment in the process by doing as much as we can electronically
†As at December 31, 2015. Includes since inception total returns from all investments managed by EdgePoint net of fees and taxes charged directly to the respective portfolios. Excludes fees and taxes paid directly by investors.
*As at December 31, 2015.